Do I Need A Development Application (DA)?

You will need to lodge a Development Application with your local council if your proposed works don’t meet the requirements for Exempt Development or Complying Development. Almost all commercial and industrial developments require a Development Application to be lodged with your local council.

Examples of work that would require a Development Application include, but are not limited to:

  • Subdivision
  • Boundary adjustments
  • Building a three storey house, row of townhouses or apartment block
  • Most additions and alterations to heritage items
  • Establishment of use, most changes of use  and changes to operating hours
  • Construction of new commercial and industrial buildings
  • Any works that increase the floor area of an existing commercial or industrial building
  • Adding windows or doors and making external additions to an existing commercial or industrial building
Can I Do A Development Application Myself?

Yes, you can do your own development application, though we would always recommend obtaining professional advice specific to your own situation, especially in the early stages of your project. Contact us for free preliminary advice, or find out the benefits of engaging a town planner.

If you do wish to do your own DA, we’ve put together a series of information pages to assist you in the process:



© 2012 The Design Partnership | Disclaimer: Whilst every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the correctness of this information at the time of publication nothing on this web page should be taken to constitute professional advice or recommendation and no claim or warranty is made to its accuracy, currency or completeness. The Design Partnership does not accept any liability to any person or entity for their use of this information in part or in whole. Conditions: The conditions for the use of this web page are provided in the Terms of Use at